Sunday, September 26, 2021

Re: Rav elimelech

Looking back at some old emails, it seems like somebody told me that it was written on Devorah Eckstein's tombstone, but never sent me the actual picture, so I can't know for sure. If anybody has a picture, please share. What I do have is a picture from S. Leibowitz from Florida who sent me a picture of Mordechai Mermelstein's tombstone (attached) that says he is a descendant of the Noam Elimelech (and, incidentally, the Vilna Gaon), and according to the tradition I received from Mr. Steg, this yichus comes through Mordechai Mermelstein's mother Chaya Zlata Freidman/Klein/Mermelstein (daughter of Eliezer Friedman), whose mother was Devorah Eckstein, who was apparently a descendant of the Noam Elimelech. That's all I know so far. I don't even know the names of Devorah Eckstein's parents to try and figure out how she connections to the Noam Elimelech (not for a lack of trying).

A Gutte Kvittel,

Reuven Chaim Klein

Beitar Illit, Israel

Author of: God versus Gods Lashon HaKodesh

ORCiD LinkedIN | Google Scholar | Amazon



On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 7:18 PM Shmaya Kohn <shmayah.kohn@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

Thank you for your email below. 

Please can you just clarify who's tombstone says they're a descendant of Rav elimelech?

Kind Regards

Shmayah Kohn 

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021, 4:40 PM RC Klein <yeshivish@gmail.com> wrote:
From the information I have on Geni.com it seems that your father-in-law David Friedman and your wife's uncle Heshy Friedman were sons of Menachem Mordechai Friedman, his father was Hersh Tzvi Friedman, and his father was Eliezer Friedman. That's the information that I have. 
We are related because my great-grandmother Chaya Zlata Mermelstein nee Klein nee Friedman was a sister of Hersh Tzvi Friedman, and both of them were children of Eliezer Friedman. 
But this could be wrong, because Heshy recently asked me about an ancestor of his named Aharon Shmuel Friedman, but I don't have that name in my Geni records. Perhaps he was higher up on the Friedman side of the family.
I have heard from our cousin Mordche (Max) Steg in Boro Park that Eliezer Friedman's wife Devorah Eckstein was a descendant of the Noam Elimelech, and for years I've been trying to find out exactly how, but have not made any progress on that front. So that's all I know about a connection to the Noam Elimelech. IIRC, somebody sent me a picture of her tombstone (or perhaps it was somebody else lower down the line) which mentions her being a descendant of the Noam Elimelech. I'm not sure that she was davka a granddaughter of the Noam Elimelech, it could be she was a great-granddaughter or even further down the line.
I really do want to get down to the bottom of this at some point. I just don't have enough information. Maybe somebody else out there knows more?

A Gutte Kvittel,

Reuven Chaim Klein

Beitar Illit, Israel

Author of: God versus Gods Lashon HaKodesh

ORCiD LinkedIN | Google Scholar | Amazon



On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 3:08 PM Shmaya Kohn <shmayah.kohn@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rav Klein

Hope you're well 

This is Shmayah Kohn 

I'm chaya friedmans husband 

Chayas uncle Heshy friedman mentioned to me that we are related to Rav elimelech. 

I'm going to Rav elimelechs kaver next week and Heshy mentioned you might have a family tree to know exactly how we are related? 

Please can you advise. 

Heshy said that his fathers grandmother was a granddaughter of Rav elimelech is this true? 

What was her name? 

Kind Regards 

Shmayah Kohn 




No comments: