Thursday, December 06, 2018

Re: Tolcsva


On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:37 PM RC Klein <yeshivish@gmail.com> wrote:
Which sefer? What I wrote to you yesterday was based on multiple seforim?

Kol Tuv,

Reuven Chaim Klein

Beitar Illit, Israel

Author of: God versus Gods: Judaism in the Age of Idolatry (NEW!) & Lashon HaKodesh: History, Holiness, & Hebrew

ORCiD LinkedIN | Google Scholar | Amazon



On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:36 AM Madeleine Isenberg <madeleine.isenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, RC, very helpful.  Because he died in the Shoah I could get more details from Yad Vashem.

Does the same Sefer have anything about Nowy Targ in Poland? That's not far from Nowy Sacz.  When you have time, of course!

Todah Rabah,
Madeleine 


On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM RC Klein <yeshivish@gmail.com> wrote:
Okay, I'll do my best.
From what I have found, Rabbi Akiva Pinchas Kornitzer signed his name as the Av Beis Din of Tolcsva in letters he wrote that were published in the rabbinic journal HaNesher (vols. 10,11, and 12) which was published in Trnava in Hungary by Rabbi Avraham Yehuda Schwartz. These particular volumes appeared in the years 1942, 1943, and 1944. It seems that he was killed in the Holocaust, so he was the last Rav of the Tolcsva community.
In the 1912 edition of Rabbi Elazar Fleckels' work Olas Tamid,  Akiva Pinchas Kornitzer is listed as a donor towards the publication of that work, and the title given for him is that of an unmarried fellow (and he is described as being of the same hometown as the publisher of that work, which was published in Tolscva.
Rabbi Mordechai Winkler, Rav of Madd, has a responsum (Levushei Mordechai, Yoreh Deah 181) addressed to his student Akiva Pinchas Kornitzer on Thursday of Parshas Netzevim--Vayelech 5671 (see www.hebcal.com to figure the date) and there too he is addressed as a bachur, unmarried fellow.
Somebody with the name  Akiva Pinchas Kornitzer  also donated money for the publication of Yalkut Avraham in Munkacs in 1931. There his title matches that of a married fellow (Reb, as opposed to HaBachur), but his town is given as סערענטש.  In the 1932 edition of Rabbi Winkler's Levushei Mordehcai to Nedarim, Rabbi Akiva Pinchas Kornitzer is listed as a donor, and is already described as the Av Beis Din of Tolcsva.
Now I just found in Rav Pinchas Schwartz's work Shem HaGedolim MeEretz Hagar that  Rav Akiva Pinchas Kornitzer became rabbi of Tolsca in תרפ"ח which is 1928 and that his father's name was Yoav. 
The Sefer Kehilla of Madd says that  Rav Akiva Pinchas Kornitzer  was one of the people who eulogized Rabbi Winkler at his funeral.
See also the attached PDF.
I hope this helps. I wrote it quickly because I don't have so much time nowadays, but please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications.

Kol Tuv,

Reuven Chaim Klein

Beitar Illit, Israel

Author of: God versus Gods: Judaism in the Age of Idolatry (NEW!) & Lashon HaKodesh: History, Holiness, & Hebrew

ORCiD LinkedIN | Google Scholar | Amazon



On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:10 PM Madeleine Isenberg <madeleine.isenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Reuven Chaim Klein, 

Our paths cross again and hopefully we can help each other.  While looking for information on Rabbi Akiva Pinchas KORNITZER, ZTz"L, I came across this that you wrote:  http://kleinfamilygenealogy.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-town-of-tallosh-in-hungary.html

I do believe you really meant Tolcsva, and please check out the KehilaLinks site I created for Tolcsva, especially the "religious" tab. https://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/tolcsva/Tolcsva-Religious.html.

I would appreciate it if you could actually help me with Rabbi Akiva Pinchas KORNITZER, as to who his family was, and when he might have served in Tolcsva.

Strangely, I have just been processing a few photos I took of Har Hamenuchot, that included the matzeva of Rebbetzin Miriam Raizel EISENSTADT, who was the daughter of Rabbi Yosef Nechemia KORNITZER.

While I don't think we are related, it is interesting that you have similar family names.  My great-grandfather, Yosef (ben Yisrael) GOLDSTEIN married Miriam KOHN, daughter of Joachim (Chaim) KOHN and Rechel GOLDSTEIN.  I still don't know if her mother had been related to this husband.  Anyway, I thought I would throw that in.

Rabbi David JUNGREIS has been working with people to restore the cemetery in Tolcsva, and I know they need a lot of money for their work.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Chag Urim Sameach!
--

No comments: